Friday, November 11, 2011

Heavenly Dinner - Enchiladas, Rice, & Guacamole Salad

Yesterday, I finally felt good enough (or maybe just hungry enough) that I planned & made a delicious dinner for my family. They are such great eaters & very appreciative that I should surely do it more often. (Oh yeah, the fact that cross country is finally over has given me several more hours per day that I am not in the car!) I shredded the chicken earlier in the day & had Chris brown the tortillas.





The best Best BEST chicken enchiladas ever: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-enchiladas.html - only variation was that Chris browned Costco’s fresh tortillas & we used whole milk instead of whipped cream.


Mexican Rice with Salsa (inspired by the Food Nanny):

1 cup chopped onion (frozen)

2 cups uncooked rice (from the hodgepodge bin)

1 cup salsa

4 cups chicken broth (one box)

Garlic & salt seasoning (small twist grinder) - garlic powder & plain salt would be great too


Throw everything in rice cooker & leave until finished. The salsa was a little spicier than we planned so we added a bit of sour cream.

Hodgepodge Bin: I always have little bits & pieces at the end of the rice bags. I finally designated a canister for the bits & pieces. When we have rice, it is a mixture of jasmine, brown, white, converted, everything. When it cooks in the rice cooker (recent purchase from Costco), everything comes out nice & evenly-enough cooked.


Guacamole Salad: Heavenly!!! http://kitchenscoop.com/recipes/guacamole-salad/ . This salad is such a treat with heavy, saucy Mexican food. Delightful.

No comments: