OK, with our new & crazy school schedule, I need some ideas for on-the-go breakfasts. My oldest is out the door before 6 a.m. What can he eat that will hold him over until lunch at 12:30? (with the stipulation that the food is braces-friendly)

We have one of these cool egg mcmuffin toasters - . You put an English muffin or bagel in the toaster part, some water, egg, & bacon in the egg part & you get a 5" egg-muffin. Great - but I can't eat these every single day of the week for the rest of the year.
Any ideas?
5 comments:
He needs something that he can eat between classes, so that limits his choices.....maybe a banana?? that would give him much needed potassium for after school cross-country, or maybe a granola bar? Trail mix? As for you, I say get the kids out the door then hit Chick-fil-A on your way home and grab some chicken mini's yum!!
THAT is very cool. I had no idea these even existed. And . . . I'm a lousy cook and the only suggestion I have is what I often hand my son when he's walking out the door and hasn't eaten yet: a banana and either a babybel cheese (wrapped in wax and you can take it with easily) or a laughing cow cheese (in a little triangle of foil)-- and sometimes a couple of crackers.
I figured out how to get to your blog from your comment. I wish I had some suggestions. My son who is a Junior has time for breakfast, I don't know what it is because I am usually asleep. He also takes almonds or cashews to snack on before lunch. I cannot wait to meet you. We must plan a day for lunch.
Shaun
Three cheers for oatmeal! He needs to eat something hardy to make it through cross country. Hopefully he can make up for any lacking in breakfast with a good, big, nutritious lunch! I remember what I ate in high school while running. I sure hope they are changing what is available from donuts, candy, and soda, to more nutritious options! Cheese, nuts, trail mix, and fruit are all really good options! Good luck!
from Kathy Arp in Samoa:
Breakfast burritos? They have this neat thing here called keke pua'a (pork cake); I can't remember what it's called other places, but it's basically steamed meat and veggie filled buns (maybe Scott has come across these on his mission?). If you don't have time to make your own dough, use Rhodes or whatever kind of frozen dough you have, flatten into a pancake-sized round, put in ham & cheese, pepperoni, sauce, olives & cheese - whatever you like (my kids like chicken, broccoli and cream cheese), seal them up and steam them. If you don't want to mess with steaming them, just bake them then shove them in the freezer. I know - you have ready made stuff there (on the island, no such luck!), but this way you control the health content. Ammon's favorite is a filling of sausage, scrambled eggs with a drizzle of maple syrup.
The filling they do for the pork buns here is basically like pulled pork with a teriyaki sauce, and they add onions and shredded carrots, sometimes cabbage also. It’s pretty good and very filling. The size they come up with is about the size of a baseball.
Post a Comment